Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Ascend into the Hill of the Lord



These are some photos of my painting process, after getting all of the design worked out and transferring the drawing to the canvas. I put on some thinned down paint just to get my basic pencil drawing more clear and lasting, then basically block in one area after another, though I do try to paint a few of the darkest darks and lightest lights at the very beginning so that I can keep my relative values more accurate.

My roommate Dave posed for this one right outside the Rexburg Temple (the temple depicted here), though of course in the painting he is in his bedroom merely preparing for and pondering the temple. I appreciate Dave's example as that of many others who appreciate and understand the sanctity of this sacred place. Such persons, though imperfect and ever striving to remain worthy of entrance therein, can only gain the knowledge of how special the temple really is by qualifying as the Psalmist described: by simply having clean hands, through refraining from sin and repenting, and pure hearts, through obeying and emulating Christ in desires as well as works. My stake president taught me something interesting recently. He said, referring to the temple, "I know of no greater symbol of the Savior than that rock on the hill." I worship often in the temple and love the peace I feel in that sanctuary, where one may truly come to know Jesus Christ. I hope that in this painting my affection for my Savior's House is apparent.

Psalm 24:3-4
Who shall ascend into the hill of the Lord? or who shall stand in his holy place? He that hath clean hands, and a pure heart; who hath not lifted up his soul unto vanity, nor sworn deceitfully.

How is a temple like unto a hill belonging to the Lord? What makes it His holy place? Are His temples holy because of the quality of materials used in their construction alone? Because of the quiet hush and white clothing found within their walls? What makes you holy?
Who must clean your hands? Who must purify your heart? Is your conscience clean, pure, and white? Ascend into, and not merely unto, the house of the Lord.

No comments:

Post a Comment